TrackAddix New Riders School
TrackAddix "School of Speed" New Rider's School:
If you are a NEW track rider, your first step is to take the TrackAddix New Rider's School, which we call the "School of Speed". The school is offered on SATURDAY at all of our full weekend events, you can see the full schedule of all events here: TrackAddix Track Day Schedule
A welcome packet for the school is available to download here: School of Speed Welcome
If you don't want to ride your OWN bike for the Rider's School, there are rental bikes available through LM2 Experience, see more information on rentals here: LM2 Experience Rentals
WHO SHOULD SIGN UP?
This is a TRACK riding program designed for those who want to get faster / smoother / safer by becoming a participant in motorcycle track days. This is NOT a general "motorcycle safety" instruction program designed for new motorcycle riders. Please consult http://msf-usa.org/ if you are a new motorcycle rider looking for basic new rider instruction. You should have a minimum of ONE year of experience as a motorcycle rider before attending the School of Speed. You should also have a "performance" mindset, as riding on the track is about the thrill of speed and not just about making you a safer rider. You'll become a much safer rider by default once you learn to ride faster on the track, but for riders who don't want the thrill of speed and just want some basic skill improvement at a moderate pace, the School of Speed is probably not for you. If you want to go fast, and do it safely, this is the program for you!
MINIMUM AGE REQUIREMENT: Riders must be at least 16 years old, with a parent/guardian present and able to sign a parent/guardian insurance waiver, or 19 years old to ride without a parent/guardian present. There are NO exceptions to this policy, this is driven by the track's insurance provider and we have no variances available. We do understand that some other tracks and track day/racing organizations DO allow riders younger than 16, but we do not.
If you have never attended a new rider's school with TrackAddix or another track day organization, then you are REQUIRED to complete the School of Speed at your first event with TrackAddix. If you have attended a school previously, but it's been a while and you feel like you could use a refresher, you're welcome to sign up as well.
The School of Speed is a full-day SATURDAY program, you'll be in the classroom starting at 8:30 a.m. and will be alternating between the classroom and on-track instruction all morning long until the lunch break at 1:00. After the lunch break you'll be released into the B-Group track day session to ride on your own and practice all of your newly-learned track skills. Our instructors will remain on the track circulating around with everyone and if you have questions or need additional help, they will be available to you all afternoon.
TO SIGN UP for the School of Speed New Rider's School, you FIRST need to create your TrackAddix Rider Account here:
After you have your account set up, log in to it and proceed to sign up for the track day using the "Sign Up" links. When you get to the shopping cart page, select the TrackAddix Track Day Registration option, select the date of the school you want to attend, and choose the event type "Saturday New Rider's School". If you ALSO want to ride on the Sunday track day after you attend the school on Saturday, just add the Saturday school to your shopping cart, click the BACK button and then select the Sunday option to also add to your cart before checking out. Don't select the "Full Weekend" option as that will not allow you to add the school registration for Saturday, choose the 2 days separately.
What do you need for riding gear?
- Full 1 or 2-piece leather or textile suit with armor. If 2-piece, it must have a full-circumference zipper, not just the short zipper at the back. A back protector is highly recommended, either integrated or strap-on style OR even better, an Alpinestars Tech-Air airbag system!
- Over-the-ankle motorcycle boots
- Over-the-wrist motorcycle gloves
- Full-face DOT or SNELL rated helmet (no modular helmets allowed)
If you don't have your own 1 or 2-piece riding suit yet, we have suits in stock for you to try! For suit information and to schedule a fitting, contact Ducati Omaha at 402-408-4400 or firstname.lastname@example.org. We are the LARGEST riding suit dealer in the area, as well as the largest Alpinestars Tech-Air dealer, with a full selection of Alpinestars and RS Taichi riding suits available. DON'T buy some cheap suit online and guess at your sizing, you need to try a suit on before buying it! The cheap suit you will REGRET, we can tell you many stories of the cheap suits not holding up in a crash. What's the point of wearing a suit on the track if it won't actually protect you?!? Watch the professionals on TV and see how well their suits hold up in crashes, THAT'S what you want to be wearing! It does take a little bit of an investment to get started with track days the right way, and we will help you make the RIGHT decision on a suit, as well as the other riding gear needed for track days! Note: If you are not in the Omaha area, we can ship a suit to you for fitting for FREE.
What do you need to do to your bike to be ready to ride?
- Make sure oil drain plug, oil filter and oil filler cap are tight. Safety-wiring these items is a good idea, but not required other than for racers in the TrackAddix GP races.
- Make sure all cooling system hoses, clamps and pumps are tight and in good condition. We highly recommend draining any ethylene glycol based anti-freeze and replacing with propylene glycol coolant (such as Engine Ice), but it is not required for the new rider's school.
- Make sure the motorcycle is clean and has no dripping or leaking fluids.
- Check all external nuts and bolts on the chassis and fairing and make sure none are loose.
- Remove or completely tape over mirrors, headlight, turn signals and tail light. Using blue "painter's tape" works well as it does not damage paint.
- Check tires to ensure there is AT LEAST 50% tread life left on the tires. Only "sport" tires are recommended for track use, if your bikes has touring or adventure tires on it, we would HIGHLY recommend installing a set of sport tires for the track. MOST new rider crashes on the track are caused by lack of grip, which is MOST often caused at least in part by worn or hard tire compounds that are not appropriate for track riding.
- Ensure your chain tension is adjusted properly and the chain is not worn out.
- Ensure your throttle snaps closed when released and does not stick open on it's own.
- Ensure your front brake pads have AT LEAST 50% pad life left.
- Ensure wheel weights are secure on your wheels and cover them with a piece of duct tape so they can't fly off at high speeds.
- REMOVE your license plate.
What you should do the day of the school:
1) Arrive at the track by 8:00, proceed to the TrackAddix Registration area and get signed in.
2) Have your bike ready to go, have your leathers on, and report to the classroom by 8:30.
3) Have fun!
For any other questions about the School of Speed, e-mail us at information@TrackAddix.com
For a printable copy of the riding gear and bike prep requirements, please download the TECH REQUIREMENTS