TrackAddix New Riders School
TrackAddix "School of Speed" New Rider's School:
If you are NEW to the track, your first step is to take the TrackAddix New Rider's School, which we call the "School of Speed". The school is offered on SATURDAY at most of our full weekend events, you can see the full schedule of all events here: TrackAddix Track Day Schedule
A welcome packet for the school is available to download here: School of Speed Welcome
If you don't want to ride your OWN bike for the Rider's School, there are rental bikes available through LM2 Experience, see more information on rentals here: LM2 Experience Rentals
WHO SHOULD SIGN UP?
This is a TRACK riding program designed for those who want to get faster / smoother / safer by becoming a participant in motorcycle track days. This is NOT a general "motorcycle safety" instruction program designed for new motorcycle riders. Please consult http://msf-usa.org/ if you are a new motorcycle rider looking for basic new rider instruction. You should have a minimum of ONE year of experience as a motorcycle rider before attending the School of Speed.
MINIMUM AGE REQUIREMENT: Riders must be at least 16 years old, with a parent/guardian present and able to sign a parent/guardian insurance waiver, or 19 years old to ride without a parent/guardian present. There are NO exceptions to this policy.
If you have never attended a new rider's school with TrackAddix or another track day organization, then you are REQUIRED to complete the School of Speed at your first event with TrackAddix. If you have attended a school previously, but it's been a while and you feel like you could use a refresher, you're welcome to sign up as well.
The School of Speed is a full-day SATURDAY program, you'll be in the classroom starting at 8:30 a.m. and will be alternating between the classroom and on-track instruction all morning long until the lunch break at 1:00. After the lunch break you'll be released into the B-Group track day session to ride on your own and practice all of your newly-learned track skills. Our instructors will remain on the track circulating around with everyone and if you have questions or need additional help, they will be available to you all afternoon.
TO SIGN UP for the School of Speed New Rider's School, you FIRST need to create your TrackAddix Rider Account here:
After you have your account set up, log in to it and proceed to sign up for the track day using the "Sign Up" links. When you get to the shopping cart page, select BOTH the Track Day Pre-Registration for the date you want to attend and add it to your shopping cart AND select the New Rider's School Registration and add that your cart as well.
** YOU MUST SIGN UP FOR THE ACTUAL TRACK DAY AS WELL AS ADD THE NEW RIDER'S SCHOOL TO YOUR REGISTRATION - BOTH STEPS ARE NECESSARY! **
What do you need for riding gear?
- Full 1 or 2-piece leather or textile suit with armor. If 2-piece, it must have a full-circumference zipper, not just the short zipper at the back. A back protector is highly recommended, either integrated or strap-on style.
- Over-the-ankle motorcycle boots
- Over-the-wrist motorcycle gloves
- Full-face DOT or SNELL rated helmet (no modular helmets allowed)
If you don't have a 1 or 2-piece riding suit you own yourself or can borrow from a friend, we have a "No Risk Trial" track suit program for Alpinestars and RS Taichi leather suits through Ducati Omaha. This program allows you to purchase a suit to take the rider's school, and if you then decide it's not for you, you can return the (undamaged) suit for a refund, minus a $150 cleaning fee. The odds of you doing the track school and then deciding you don't like it are very, very low, but just in case we offer this piece-of-mind that you won't own a new suit that you will not be using any longer. For suit information and to schedule a fitting, contact Ducati Omaha at 402-408-4400 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Note: If you are not in the Omaha area, we can ship a suit to you for fitting.
What do you need to do to your bike to be ready to ride?
- Make sure oil drain plug, oil filter and oil filler cap are tight. Safety-wiring these items is a good idea, but not required other than for racers in the TrackAddix GP races.
- Make sure all cooling system hoses, clamps and pumps are tight and in good condition. We highly recommend draining any ethylene glycol based anti-freeze and replacing with propylene glycol coolant (such as Engine Ice), but it is not required for the new rider's school.
- Make sure the motorcycle is clean and has no dripping or leaking fluids.
- Check all external nuts and bolts on the chassis and fairing and make sure none are loose.
- Remove or completely tape over mirrors, headlight, turn signals and tail light. Using blue "painter's tape" works well as it does not damage paint.
- Check tires to ensure there is AT LEAST 50% tread life left on the tires. Only "sport" tires are recommended for track use, if your bikes has touring or adventure tires on it, we would HIGHLY recommend installing a set of sport tires for the track. MOST new rider crashes on the track are caused by lack of grip, which is MOST often caused at least in part by worn or hard tire compounds that are not appropriate for track riding.
- Ensure your chain tension is adjusted properly and the chain is not worn out.
- Ensure your throttle snaps closed when released and does not stick open on it's own.
- Ensure your front brake pads have AT LEAST 50% pad life left.
- Ensure wheel weights are secure on your wheels and cover them with a piece of duct tape so they can't fly off at high speeds.
- REMOVE your license plate.
What you should do the day of the school:
1) Arrive at the track by 8:00, proceed to the TrackAddix Registration area and get signed in.
2) Have your bike ready to go, have your leathers on, and report to the classroom by 8:30.
3) Have fun!
For any other questions about the School of Speed, e-mail us at information@TrackAddix.com
For a printable copy of the riding gear and bike prep requirements, please download the TECH REQUIREMENTS